Saturday, October 13, 2012

I'm not racist, and all of you should get over it already

Okay, I'm going to start this one off with another disclaimer (which tells you that this might be an interesting post):

I am NOT RACIST. I'm not. At all.
That means that I'm not negatively prejudiced toward any one particular race. I don't dislike people just because they're a different color, shape, etc. than I am. I don't, and I never have. Honest.

This does NOT mean, however, that I'm colorblind, or that I go out of my way to make everyone happy.

(I should note that this is going to start with racism, but likely turn into something much larger)

See, I honestly think that stereotypes- SOME stereotypes, maybe most stereotypes- exist for a reason.
Not that 'all stereotypes are completely accurate', or that I believe that all stereotypes should exist, or that stereotypes can't be hurtful.
I do, however, as I said, absolutely believe that behind a lot of stereotypes is a grain of truth.

Let's think about it:
1) Asians are good at math
Well... Yeah, they are. This doesn't mean that all Asians hit Calculus in Middle School, or that any Asian friend of yours can get you straight-A's in the math class you're failing, or anything like that. However, Asians are far more scholastically motivated than most Americans. Every Asian kid I know- even the ones who were born in the United States or have lived their entire lives here and don't remember their birthplace- are more motivated, serious, and invested in school.
2) Black people like fried chicken, collard greens, watermelon, and Kool-Aid.
Well... yeah, they do. Black people came into this country primarily as slaves, and they were primarily in the South of the United States. The South is the birthplace of fried chicken, collard greens, and watermelon, and Kool-Aid goes well with fried chicken. So although black people have moved into the North now, their family moved there from the South; in the South, they'd grown accustomed to the food that was popular there, so when they moved uen their childrep to the North, they made that food. Their children ate it, their grandchildren did, and when they died their children had been accustomed to it, so they would make it for their families, and so on. So while no, black people don't exist on a diet of exclusively those foods, black people are likely to enjoy them.

And because some of you might be fuming right now because of what I just said, let me explain:

"Black" is NOT A RACIST WORD. HOLY FUCK, you stupid little whiny bitches- it is NOT OFFENSIVE. No, I really don't care what the fuck you say- I'm "white", but it's racist and offensive to call an Asian person 'yellow', a black person 'black', a Mexican person 'brown'- WHY?! Are you really that fucking stupid and weak that you're insulted when someone refers to the color of your fucking skin?!
No, 'black' people aren't actually black- they are brown. But no one has ANY problem calling white people 'white'- but my skin isn't white. It's a kind of mix between peach and tan, maybe a really light caramel color. I have seen very few people who are actually white- and those who are are unnaturally pale. It isn't normal to just be 'white'.
... I just don't see it. I don't see, don't understand, why calling someone 'black' is offensive. I really don't get it.
So supposedly, we're supposed to call black people "African Americans".
WHY?!
Okay, no, really- I do not know a single black person who was born in Africa. I've never even met someone who was born in Africa.
Furthermore, I don't even know a single black person who's BEEN to Africa!
So WHY are they supposedly "Africa-Americans"?! THEY AREN'T AFRICAN. You might as well call me a "French-American", because my family name came from France- some of my ancestors were Huguenots. So no, I'm not considered French- I'm an American. I've never lived in France, none of my family survives in France, I have no connections to the country; therefore, I'm not French. So I am not, and have never been, referred to as a "French American"; no, I'm "white".
So I'm going to ask once more- why do we have to call black people "African American"?! REALLY?!??!!! Again, I don't know a single person who was born in Africa- I don't even know anyone who was there for so much as a brief visit. I don't know anyone who has family living in Africa, or who has any sort of ties to the country or its people- other than the color of their skin.

Now, yes, I'm going to talk about a reeeaaallly touchy subject: reparations.
See, I don't agree with them. At all. In any way. No.
Right after the Civil War ended, they would have made sense; it would have been fair, and right, to have paid back those who actually were slaves, or whose parents were slaves, to make their place and keep their heads above water in a country which didn't like them, a people who didn't want them there, who didn't respect or treat them as equals.
But see, I don't know anyone who was a slave. I don't know anyone whose parents, grandparents, or even great-grandparents, were enslaved. It's been almost 200 years- 150 years- since the civil war. No, that's not a whole *lot* of time, but... honestly, I can't help but think that it's enough time to get their feet underneath themselves and build a life.
Now, I understand that I am white, and I don't really have any idea what kind of prejudice black people in this country still face today- I've lived in quiet areas my whole life, I haven't seen the struggles minorities face to have an education, a paycheck, etc. which is on par with the white man's.
But I'm only hearing third-hand about these challenges, these prejudices, and I know so many minority families who have overcome whatever obstacles they face to achieve stable, profitable lives.

... Okay, I'm not going to say anything else that would likely earn me a few death threats, because all of my frustration at racial argument in this fucked-up country and mad world boils down to this:

If you want racism to stop, then STOP BEING RACIST.
That goes for minorities as well!
If you're insisting that who you are is NOT defined by the color of your skin, as indeed it is NOT, then WHY are you arguing that you, as a black or Asian or Hispanic person, are being discriminated against by the tyrannical white man? WHY are you making race an issue? If you want everyone to ignore your race and just focus on who you are as a person, and focus on what you're doing and how you're living, then why are YOU the one pointing out that you're a minority?!
There are scholarships and opportunities made available for colleges that are specifically for minority students, to help them achieve what majority-born students may. But the very existence of that financial aid, let alone one's application to and acceptance of it, is a declaration that you are different, that you need to be set apart, that your life is not equal to that of any other student. The use of such aid is such that you would be saying that, no, you CAN'T make it without special help- that you can't hold your own, that you need help, that you aren't capable of making it and overcoming the challenges that any normal person would face and defeat.

So, let's say you see it as a gift- to try to amend for the wrongs done you in the past.
To which I say: WHAT WRONGS WERE DONE YOU? You, specifically- not your ancestors, not the people who looked like you but whom you've never met, but YOU. What has been done to you that makes you so unable to keep up with the rest of the population?

So, no. No.
Honestly, I do think that the ONLY way to really move past racism is to MOVE PAST RACISM. Yes, it's unfortunate; yes, some people are still prejudiced, and yes, some people are still discriminated against. But, you know what? the world is a dangerous, scary, mean place. That's life. That's how it goes.

Yes, I realize that quite a few of you are probably seriously insulted by this. I'm sorry that you're insulted- NOT sorry for what I've said, because that is what I think, but I'm sorry you're such a pussy that you're hurt by someone saying that you need to grow up.
I realize that some of you are most likely shocked that I would say something like this, that I would go out and just say shit like this- but honestly, I really think that this is the truth. I think that everyone needs to take a deep breath, and GROW THE FUCK UP, be adults, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment